Sunday, July 09, 2006

Disturbing Similarities

I saw this and it bothered me. If you ever watched "The Wire" on HBO, you probably learned a good deal about the inner workings of street level drug trade. Guy walks up, pays one guy some cash. Cashier holds up one, two or three fingers to someone else based how much the guy bought. Second person then signals to someone else to bring the buyer around to pick up the drugs. Very effecient and everyone does their job.
For several months there has been a 8 or 9 year old girl selling brownies in high traffic neighborhood that I drive through to and from work. She has the exact same set up. She stands on the corner of her lot, and holds up the sign that boasts 50 cent brownies. There are places that the cars can pull over to make the buy. She yells back down to the house how many brownies and someone goes inside and brings them up to an adjacent corner.
The similarities are what's keeping me from buying anything. I'm afraid I would stop and say, "hi sweetie, I'd like two brownies..........." Then she would peer into the car as she took my dollar, glance around for the cops and say, "drive to the end of the gravel, C-Lo will have your package."

No comments: