Thursday, August 03, 2006

Game Six: Redemption

October 7th
Vs. University Of Tennessee (Athens, GA)
The redemption here could go either way. In 2005, the Tennessee Vols had one of the most disappointing years ever in college football. They had a preseason ranking of around #3 and many had them pegged to be in the national championship game by the end of the year. Starting with the UT/UGA game last year, the Vols went on to lose 5 of the next 6 games, they lost their best defender, Jason Allen, for the rest of their season, and they had a QB controversy in full swing. Coach Fulmer’s team ended up 5-6, missing out on a bowl game for the first time since….well as far back as I can remember. Wait, as far back as I care to remember. You see, I HATE the Vols.
I spent about 11 years in East Tennessee, and while I have fond memories of my life and times there, it was way too long being for a Dawg fan in Vol country. So I did enjoy their misery last year.
But it’s not about me. It’s about a UT team desperate to get out on the football field to prove that this was a travesty, an aberration. For the Dawgs, this will be a giant step in being able to prove that they belong every year, not just when the stars align. I don’t know anyone, Vol fan or not, who doesn’t think Tennessee will have a strong year. Let’s just hope they can field a team.
This is another game I can’t predict. The Vols have a tendency to lose the easy games, and win the ones they shouldn’t.
(Notice how I got through that without using the words, “probation” or “Drunken Cooter”?)

No comments: