Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Game Ten: Feelin the Blues

November 4th

Vs. University of Kentucky (Lexington, KY)

Seriously, when you think of sports at Kentucky, what do you think of? Basketball? You’re such a liar. You think of Ashley Judd. Yeah. Me, too. But then I think of her sitting in the STANDS watching basketball. Then I think of her playing Marilyn Monroe and……………..well, THAT’S a good thought. Where was I?. No one has noticed recently, but Kentucky does field a football team. Ever since the Bluegrass miracle, the wind has been taken out of their sails (drifting back to thoughts of Ashley Judd on a boat…..).

Let’s be honest. Kentucky is in a real funk right now. Last year they had a slew of injuries that just wasn’t fair. I don’t remember the stats, but I believe that every member of their 1st and 2nd string units were injured at least 6 times during the season. I’m pretty sure they played Vanderbilt with 8 offensive players. But no one has accused them of giving up or quitting on their coach. To me, they seem like the type of guys who would crawl out on the gridiron even if they had no fingers or toes. They have a guy named Rafael Little who is going to do some damage to other teams all by himself. Little returns punts, runs, blocks, catches out of the backfield, tapes ankles, takes tickets, directs game day traffic, and feeds stats to the announcer. But sadly, if Rich Brooks doesn’t win, he’s probably going to be toast. Is it fair? No. But it’s reality. I don’t see anything so far that leads me to believe that Kentucky can beat the Dawgs, even in Lexington. What I find most interesting about this game is that, as usual, it’s sandwiched between the Florida and Auburn games. Sooner or later, this will be the “letdown” game. But not this year. This will just be a warm up for the trip to Cowtown, er, I mean Auburn.

I sure hope we’ve settled on a QB by then…………….. I wonder what Ashley is doing?

No comments: