Saturday, March 10, 2007

Flashback - Dawgs vs Vols: The Best Thing To Happen in 2006

That’s right, I said it. The 51-33 butt whipping that we took on October 7th last year was probably the best thing that could have happened to us at the time – for the long run. Think back to that time. We were ranked 10th in the nation despite having squeaked by winless Colorado and a feeble Ole Miss. Our defense was still considered premier, though enough cracks were made obvious that we knew what to work on.
We were beating the Vols 24-7 at home with time running out in the first half and it appeared that we had this one in the bag. But 30 minutes and 37 points later, Tennessee finished off the win by scoring more than 50 points for only the second time EVER at Sanford Stadium.
Did things turn around right then and there? No. Losses to Vanderbilt, Kentucky (see Stafford's face) and the annual disappointment in Jacksonville added to what most would consider a disappointing season. What I think separates the UT game was that we had forgotten Coach Richt’s main mantra since he arrived in Athens – FINISH THE DRILL. You could argue that the Vanderbilt game was more of a wake up call. It was homecoming and we lost to a team that we’ve beaten every year since 1994 (also a loss in Athens). But that game was never out of reach. A missed two point conversion, a missed field goal or a blocked field goal would have changed the out come of the game. And if you’re in that camp, go ahead and curse Andy Bailey here. As far as the Kentucky loss, let’s give them some credit, they did go bowling last year. Andre Woodson is a really good quarterback and Stafford was still in his “I’ll-never-take-a-sack-even-if-it-means-throwing-an-interception” mode (three picks). As far as Florida……….well, I can only talk about that when I’m lying on a couch in my therapist’s office.
Back to the Vols.
I don’t think that the 2006 Volunteers were more talented overall than we were. But they played 60 minutes of football that day. We played about 27 minutes. Losing a 16 point lead at home is indicative of a problem and that was that we were not finishing the drill. I’m not saying that anyone had forgotten FTD……..well, actually, that’s exactly what I’m saying. I see the coaches all have t-shirts with the slogan. But by then ‘finish the drill might have just become something catchy to say. I don’t know that the players really believed it. The UT game was a clear slap in the face, a slap that said “you have no heart”. It was like telling the really pretty girl, “yes, you’re hot, but there’s nothing behind those eyes” (For the record, I’m so shallow that I’ve NEVER said that).
Even though it took five more games and a QB shuffle, when we faced Auburn we were clearly ready to finish the drill. And that carried into a fourth quarter comeback against Georgia Tech and a second half comeback against Virginia Tech in the Pea…I mean, Chick-Fil-A Bowl.
I was pleased to see Coach Richt wearing his t-shirt this past week at practice. That means that those three words still ring true for this year and I’m sure they will remind the players of what the Vols did to us on that October night in Sanford. I hope “regrouping” is something we don’t have on our ‘to do’ list midway through the 2007 season.

No comments: