Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Supporting Vick, but not blindly

Falcon fan? Guilty. I have always supported the team that came to town (along with the Braves) the very year I was born. When you grow up with a team, it becomes hard NOT to cheer for them. So, yes, I do pull for Michael Vick. I hated hearing his name when he was at Virginia Tech, but the Falcons drafted him so I want him to do well.
Having said that, if he is some dog fighting kingpin, capable of the kind of grotesque things he’s being accused of, then he should be suspended and/or kicked off the team and prosecuted for this felony. If not, then he is still the quarterback of the team and his success equals the Falcons’ success. Am I suspect of the way he lives his life? You bet. Sounds like he makes poor decisions off the field. I don’t have to hang his posters in my room – that would be odd since I’m 40 and my wife doesn’t give me a say so in the interior decorating – but I will watch him play on TV along with the other 50 or so guys who play for Atlanta. Is he a role model? Not for me or my children. If you don’t know the difference, don’t criticize those of us that do.


Edit: How was the timing of that post? Obviously, we all know that Vick was indicted by the Feds on dog fighting charges. What happens to him now will be left up to the Feds, the NFL, and the Falcons. If he's wearing a Falcon jersey come the first game I'll be surprised, but I will none-the-less root for the Falcons to win. There will be 52 other guys on the roster playing, too.

No comments: