Wednesday, August 29, 2007

What Would Mark Richt Do?

Don’t get all riled up at the title. It’s just a bit. But be honest, out of all the sports personalities in Georgia, nay in the country, do you know of anyone better to emulate? Two people issued apologies earlier this week. Michael Vick stood in front of a Virginia Federal Courthouse and apologized for his role in the whole dogfighting thing. I listened to his speech and while I do think he was sincere, what I wanted to hear was these two words, “I lied”. Basically, that’s what I’m upset about. Don’t get me wrong, the dogfighting is grotesque, but he then lied about it. So his apology was given because he simply HAD to.
Contrast that to our fearless head coach Mark Richt. Friday afternoon, after having practice rained out, Richt went on a tirade about UGA’s lack of an indoor practice facility for the football team. “I’m about tired of it” he said. And for those of us who follow every crumb of UGA football, it set off another debate. Georgia and Florida are the only SEC schools that do not have indoor practice facilities, so the proponents for it say ‘Everybody else has one, why shouldn’t we?’ Those who don’t care say ‘It’s obviously not hurting Florida (where it seems to rain every afternoon), so what’s the big deal. I don’t care one way or another, but it’s obviously a big deal to Coach Richt.
Fast forward to Sunday. Coach Richt issued this apology:
“I would like to make a public statement following up on my recent comments pertaining to our facilities at UGA.
First I am very proud to be at the University of Georgia. I have poured a lot of my life and energy into this program and I’m thankful every day for where God has placed me. I’m also thankful for the leadership of our University, Athletic Association, and Athletic Board.
Friday’s comments regarding the lack of an indoor practice facility were a knee-jerk reaction to a series of events that happened throughout the day ending with the cancellation of practice due to a storm in the area.
When I actually read my comments late in the day on Saturday I was very disappointed in what I said and the way I said it. It appeared to be someone who was ungrateful for what he had and that is certainly not the case. For that, I want to apologize to President (Michael) Adams, (athletic director) Damon Evans, and the Bulldog Nation.
I am very blessed at UGA and Damon and I have a great working relationship. In fact, we have been working together in planning a project that will provide a major facility improvement.
I want to end by saying that this statement is heartfelt and I was not asked to make it by anyone other than my own conscience.”

Huh?

I’ll admit, off the football field, his Friday statements are the closest thing to a tirade you’ll ever get from Richt. Most of us would turn into Howard Dean on crack if we were asked the kinds of questions that head coaches were asked. But if you ask me, he didn’t have to apologize for anything. I’ll bet you $200 that Athletic Director Damon Evans (if he in fact DID even read the story) said, “Ah, bitching about the indoor facility again. Whatever.” President Michael Adams is still figuring out how to attract more people at the fan friendly tailgaiting locations (memo to President Adams – people drink at football games. Get over it.) Neither of these guys gave a whiff about what he said, not because they don’t care, but because IT WAS A NON STORY.
You know, come to think of it, Richt did issue an apology once before. AJC columnist Jeff Schultz asked a question during the 2005 season about the lack of offense and was Coach Richt frustrated by it. Let’s preface this by saying that Coach had been addressing this issue at EACH press conference. Never the less, Schultz felt the need to drag it up again. “Can you talk a little bit about the stagnation of this offense?” Richt’s response was fantastic. “Well, I’ve talked about it before, but I’ll explain it again to YOU, if you’d like……” He then went on to discuss, very calmly, the offensive shortcomings. Before Richt ever apologized, Schultz made a reference to it in his column – noting that Richt’s reaction was as close to a public lashing that you’ll see from him. The very next press conference, Coach Richt started off by apologizing to Schultz and the AJC. I would have loved to have seen the looks on the faces of the reporters who were thinking, “what the hell?” You know even Schultz was thinking, “Who IS this boy scout?”
In both of these instances, Mark Richt did something we all do, he got extremely irritated. And then he lashed out – by his standards. However, he went back and apologized, leaving most of us scratching our heads. For all you UGA haters who complain about all the ‘thugs’ this program brings in, you certainly can’t complain about the man in charge. If he didn’t show any emotion on the football field, I would have the CIA investigate him for being a pod person. But he expects more of himself than he does of you. And he does it for the whole world to see.

No comments: