Saturday, May 19, 2018

I'm tired of this

I started this little diary in July of 2006. It's a nice little outlet for me to rant.

However.....

Since that time, there have been:

  • 190 school shootings in the US
  • 243 students killed
  • 343 students injured
The news yesterday from Santa Fe, Texas that 10 people had been killed at a high school seemed to overshadow the news that there was another shooting just south of Atlanta later that night in which one person was killed and another was injured after a graduation ceremony. 

I'm trying my hardest not to become numb to news of a school shooting. But it's very hard. I would imagine most are like me. We pay attention and we shake our heads in disgust. But we only seem to give our attention to the ones that happen when there are multiple fatalities. So my condolences to the families of those who were killed in Jonesboro, GA, simply because "only one person lost their life". 

I read a very poignant opinion recently (after another school shooting; God help me, I can't remember which one) that summed it up for me. Everyone wants to find a solution for this madness. However, most of the solutions offered up by liberal-minded people involve preventing a catastrophe from happening. Most solutions offered up by conservative-mined people involve minimizing the damage after the fact. I chewed on that for awhile and it's relevant. Most liberals would rather take away the option of having the ability to slay dozens of people in 30 seconds. Conservative approaches (more armed officers at school, equipping the teachers with guns) want to take out the shooter after it starts so they can prevent the shooter from killing even more people. That means someone still dies. 

My wife is a teacher and I still have a daughter in high school. I never imagined there would be a time when I thought I would say to myself, "Jeez, I hope they both finish so they can get out into the real world and be safer than they are at school." But that's the thought I have every day. How is it that my oldest daughter, who lives in the second largest city in the US, seems to be safer than someone who is in school seven hours a day? 

All this to say, I don't have all the answers. But thoughts and prayers are not, and never really have been, a part of the solution. But that's what we get. 

And I'm tired of it. 

No comments: